|Born ||1948, Manchester
|Based In ||North Wales (A55 corridor, convenient for M6 etc)
|Education ||The Manchester Grammar School
The University of Leeds
City of Leeds and Carnegie College (Teacher Training)
Too many Computer-related courses to list over the years
|Qualifications ||B.A. Hons in Philosophy (special studies in Formal Logic)
Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (Maths)
Qualified Teacher Status
|Languages||English – native
Welsh – conversational (O-level equivalent passed in 2008)
French – conversational
Norwegian – formerly fluent, now rusty
|Employment||3 years teaching Maths at O/A level at St. Mary's College,
KBS computer services, Liverpool (5 years) developing and presenting various computer courses, and later managing a software development team.
Microtech Computer Svcs, Liverpool (4 years) as Technical Director running several software development teams.
In 1986 established Emphasys Computer Consultants, in Liverpool, and over the following 20+ years produced business computer systems for many major customers including..
||A complete and integrated service, parts and tools control system, custom written to the specification of the Engineering Department. Used to control Aircraft Servicing at Heathrow and elsewhere. Written in C.
|The Yorkshire Co-op
||An integrated stock and order processing system for their warehouse in Bradford. Written in C.
||Fully-integrated accounts, stock and order control system for the Purchasing Department. Written in C.
||Art Contact Ltd.
Currently self-employed IT and training consultant.
|Key Skills ||
- I have a wide knowledge of many computer languages and operating systems.
- Experience with Windows and many applications (Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Photoshop, etc.).
- Have used Unix (and similar) for 25+ years.
- I can program in many “classic” languages (COBOL, Fortran, BASIC, assembly languages and various archaic machine codes),
- Have produced complete dynamic websites using PHP and MySQL,
with Windows-based back office programs and PHP-driven web pages.
- Have designed and written complete business systems that have been in use for around 20 years.
- Lectured for several years at Liverpool John Moores University in Operating System Design (Part-time) and have written and presented numerous IT-related training course for industry.